The Landing Beaches ...
Bridgehead of the Liberation, the landings on the morning of 6th June 1944, changed the outcome of the war thus paving the way for victory in Europe.
Known all over the world, this allied military operation remains the most significant battle of the Second World War not only for current generations but for those generations to come and has shaped, forever, the fate of Europe.
On the outskirts of the village of Catz and within the commune of Carentan the Normandy Tank Museum utilises part of the original site of the old A10 Airfield. Built by 826 Engineer Aviation Battalion, the airfield construction started, under enemy fire, on 15th June 1944 and by 19th June 1944 received the first P-47 Thunderbolts of 50 Fighter Group. The airfield was built at the crossroads of the old N13 Paris/Cherbourg and the N174 St Lo/Cherbourg roads in the hamlet of « La Fourchette ». The runway was 1500m long by 35m wide and laid out on an east/west axis (81°)
In the heart of the jump zones of the 101st Airborne Division and the National Park of the Cotentin, the Normandy Tank Museum - A10 AIRFIELD blends in well with other local museums commemorating the D-Day landings including :
Finally, due to its proximity to the current N13 and the railway station in Carentan, access to the Normandy Tank Museum couldn't be easier.
One hour from the museums and commemorative sites of Calvados and within an hour of Cherbourg and Caen, the NORMANDY TANK MUSEUM intends on expanding its European and international development.